Thursday, November 15, 2012

Camden's Birth Story

What a ride these kids put us on, right?

Camden's story is kind of the same as Easton's story. But different.  Well, I guess the only thing the same is that they both sent me to the hospital a day early...

Let's start from the beginning.  I went in to the doctor for my 40 week check up.  Still no sign of the baby, although at this appointment, the doctor told me he was sure that I wouldn't be back for a 41 week appointment.  He told me that I could schedule an induction for that week, but even though I was really eager for the baby to come, I wanted things to run their course.  So he told me that since I was past due, I needed to go have a stress test done.  They called over to the hospital and were able to get me in right away.  I drove over, had the stress test, and all looked well.  They wanted me to come back in  2 days, all because I was past due.

That night, I got a call from the doctor's office.  The nurse was calling to say that they had an opening for an induction on Thursday.  (It was Monday).  I really didn't want to induce, but then I learned that the doctor would be out starting on Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday.  I was hoping to wait it out, and if he still wasn't coming, to induce on Monday.  But she said that wasn't even an option.  And then she told me that chances were that when I went in for my stress test on Thursday anyway, that they would fail me and send me to get induced because I was over and there was a holiday (so the hospital would be short staffed if I waited much longer.)  I was so stressed, because that Thursday was the worst day.  I didn't have anyone to watch Abbi & Easton, and my mom had work stuff going on and I really wanted her there with me.  I stressed and I cried, and then I decided that I would just see what happened - nothing I could really do at that point.

The next day, I started having contractions.  This wasn't anything new, but they were actually getting worse and were consistent.  As the day went on, they got worse, and by that evening, they were quite painful.  I decided that we should head to the hospital.  I was nervous, just because of what had happened with Easton (getting sent home), but I figured that since I was already past due, it had to be time.

We got to the hospital and my mom and dad got there shortly after.  They hooked me up, and the nurse came in to check me.  I hadn't progressed any further than my appointment on Monday.

And guess what?  After an hour of observations, I hadn't progressed any.  The same thing as with Easton.  I was so frustrated and upset, because I was hurting, but nothing was happening.  But at least this time, the nurse was great and explained what was going on with my body, and made me feel a lot better.  She gave me a shot of morphine for the pain and sent us home.

The next day, surprisingly, my contractions were pretty much gone.  (So at least I wasn't in horrible pain for a day like I was with Easton!)  I continued on my day, frustrated that the contractions were gone, but decided to just not even think about it and to just continue on.  The day was pretty uneventful.

That night, I was exhausted, and got into bed.  I fell asleep, and probably 15 minutes later, I felt this strange sensation.  Was that my water breaking???  I got up and ran to the bathroom, and sure enough, I was leaking fluid like crazy.  Now I knew for sure that it was time!  I ran in and woke up Josh, then went in and woke up my parents.

We got our things together and headed to the hospital.  At first, the contractions were pretty mild, but then they started to kick in and I really got to feel some of them.

We got to the hospital (it was after midnight at this point) and got into the room where she tested the fluid, and sure enough, it was my water that had broken.  They took us to a room to get everything started.

I was so tired, I don't even remember most of what happened.  The anesthesiologist came in and got me my epidural, at one point my contractions slowed down a little bit so they put me on pitocin, and they told us all to get some rest.  They checked me a few times for progress through the night, but we mostly slept - me in the hospital bed, Josh on the couch and my mom in the chair.  Early that morning, my mom left to go and do the things at work that needed to get done, but was back before anything really happened.

That morning, the nurse came in and said that the doctor was there doing a procedure on another girl, but we should be ready to go once he got there.  My dad called my mom from home, saying that he couldn't find the diapers to change Easton's diaper.  I told her to tell him to just wait until Janell got there, but Josh decided to run home to help.  I told him to wait until they checked me again, but he left, thinking he could be back before anything happened.  Just minutes after he left, the nurse came in and checked me, and sure enough, I was ready to go!  I quickly called Josh and told him to turn around and come back - it was time to have a baby!  Luckily, he got back just as the doctor came in, so it all worked out.

40 weeks and 6 days - I thought he'd never come!!  The birth was the easiest of all of my babies.  This dr. was amazing.  I only pushed once, and he basically just massaged the baby out.  Camden Joshua Harroun came into this world at 8:29am on November 15, 2012, at a whopping 8 lbs 11 ounces, and 21 inches long.  I am so happy to have him here with us!!

No comments: