Thursday, October 2, 2008

Baby's Room

I can't stop changing my mind!!

I've been looking at baby bedding for weeks now, trying to decide what to get so that we can start painting her room. But I keep changing my mind! Normally, I would say that I'm not a "theme" girl. I was looking at mostly contemporary sets, until I came upon this set:
and I totally fell in love with the butterfly theme. In this picture, the room is way overboard - and I don't need or want all of the coordinating pieces, but I like the basic bedding. And I know how I would paint the room. In fact, I had this picked out before I even knew we were having a girl.

But then I started looking around, and I found a set at Target that I liked. It was way cheaper, too, but after reading reviews, I found out that it is cheaper because the quality was not so good. So I went back to the butterflies.

I got online to order it this morning (with my birthday money!!) and just haven't been able to commit. And then, searching online, I found this set:


And now I totally can't make up my mind! I love the second set - it's more along the lines of what I was originally looking for. It's cheaper, but comes with less. But it sounds like the quality is a lot better, even though I haven't really found any reviews complaining about the quality on the first set. The bad thing about this second set is that - from what I can find - you can't buy extra sheets that match. I want several extra sheets, because I'm sure I'll need them. And I know I could use a black or white sheet, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a set, doesn't it? Plus, there's not a matching mobile, which isn't a deal breaker, but I would like one that matches. There are a lot of accessories to choose from with this second set, but none that I would really want. All I really want is the bedding, a mobile, and a valance. But there is no mobile or valance for the second set. But it's so cute, I just can't stop thinking about it now!!

Any opinions?

9 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh! What a hard decision. I absolutely ADORE the second one -- I love the pink with the black and white, it's so sweet! BUT, the first one is adorable too, and it sounds like it has more of what you want. For that reason (and ONLY that reason! I love the second one!) I say go with the first one.

Then again, you could always get a pink or black-and-white polka-dotted valance, and I'm sure you could find a mobile with little white teddy bears or something if you went with the second set.

I'm not helping at all, am I? Thank goodness we had a boy -- fewer bedding choices!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Weeeelll my comment won't be the most popular pick :-) I'm a minimalist when it comes to babies anyway...I don't like spending tons of money on things that aren't going to last very long :-)

We went with a breathable bumper in white (Regular bumpers are terribly unsafe..PLEASE look into the safety issues of these before you spend a ton of money on one!!). We bought two or three plain blue sheets. And ta da! Our crib bedding was finished.

For a mobile, we got one that was "educational" and played Classical music and had a remote. VERY helpful.

We did get valance curtains that matched a "set" at Babies R Us. Those my mom bought off EBay for a fraction of the retail price.

Just remember....no matter what bedding you choose, the cutest thing will be who's IN the crib :-) And plus, if you're like us, Aiden slept with us more than his crib anyway...so I'm very very glad I didn't spend a small fortune on a cute set because it simply wouldn't have been used.

All in all though, it's YOUR home and baby and money. If a cute bedding set is what you want, then get one! Just don't feel you HAVE to spend hundreds of dollars on outfitting a crib. It can easily be done for less than $50.

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

You sound just like me!!
I had my bedding set picked out since I found out it was a boy. It's from Target and it's acutally a kids bedding set, but I want to do his room in a forest theme. With bears and moose and canoes and tree's. And for some reason NO ONE makes a crib bedding set like that. The one I want is made by Woolrich and its the bear theme (incase you want to see it..)
but then you have to google "Bananafish spot" I found this dog themed set yesterday and I cant get it out of my mind. PLUS the reviews are great!!! plus.. "sharing" the room with the dog it would be PERFECT!
Oh.. I'm sooo torn too!

On a side note, the girl I work with has the Sugar Plum set for her new little girl. She loves it. I actually made her 1st birthday cake after that set. ummmm.. personally.. I like the more modern looking set. (The second one..) You really dont have to have exact matching sheets. PLUS from what I hear you change the sheets so much.. Just buy a bunch of pink sheets!
You'll like my bassinet bedding I made.. its so girlie and cute! I cant wait for it to be finished.. and I hope he doesnt resent me for it! :)

Big Boys Oven said...

they look so lovely !

-mess. said...

Out of the two you have posted, I like the lighter pink and black.. it's much more soothing with a little less going on.. and I would think calm would be the way to go with little ones? =)

Congrats again!

Abby said...

The baby is going to like lots of things to look at - so I'd say the busy one. Although I went with red, white and blue for Cash - red especially on the bed because that's one of the few things they can see at first!

If I ever have a girl I plan to reuse the red gingham bedding and add some black and red cherry accents! Frugal, frugal. And broke. So broke. Ha.

kellypea said...

Hi! You know I have to stop by once in a while to see how the non-cooking you is doing! I love the second set. My sister-in-law and I were sighing over the pink and brown themes that Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn have been featuring in their specialty catalogues lately. They're way pricey, so she's just using the idea, then going around to put a look together from odds and ends. In the end, it's more fun, and costs less -- plus looks more realistic. My boys' cribs looked best before they were born. Afterwards, it was all about those babies. The slept a bit with us, but you're right -- those sheets need lots of changing. But we used cloth diapers and they leaked! The important thing is to have fun, enjoy the time you're having deciding and know it will be beautiful for your baby girl no matter what you choose. Do it YOUR way! Hugs...

Mrs Ergül said...

This is such a tough choice to make! I like the butterfly set cuz it is so fanciful and fanciful is my way haha

Kacy & Adam said...

I like the second set too! Super cute! And black, white, and pink would be way easier to match up extra sheet sets. I only had 1 extra simple sheet and it was fine since I prefered the original soft sheet on there anyway. It just madfe me more efficient in the laudry department! :) Both are cute though, you can't go wrong.