Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Economy Takes Another Victim...

Yes, ladies and gentlemen - as of 11:35am on Friday, October 17th, I am officially unemployed. The market the last few weeks was brutal for my company, and they cut down to only 3 employees. On Thursday, my boss asked me for vacation hours remaining for a bunch of employees, and I knew right away there were going to be layoffs. I went in to talk to him, and I guess they had decided to keep him, (the COO), the webmaster, and me. I was kind of stunned that they had decided to keep me, being 6 months pregnant and all. I talked to him, and told him that it probably wasn't the smartest decision because I was hoping to not have to come back after the baby is born. He said that made sense, and left the decision up to me.

That day was SOOO stressful. Josh had just started his job on Monday, and he was out that day with the owner of the company, learning the ropes, so he wasn't really available to talk. I had to make my decision that day, and needless to say, it was not fun. I really got thinking about it, though, and I would have to take over duties that I just wasn't comfortable with. I knew I would hate my new job, and I knew that I would be leaving in 3 months if at all possible. So I ended up telling him that they should really do what is best for the company. I knew he was just trying to take care of me because I'm pregnant, and who would hire a pregnant woman! But in the end, they let me go, along with 3 others from my company as well as 3 others from our sister company. And if things don't get better, I'm sure they will layoff even more.

So everything is really weird right now. Luckily, Josh really loves his new job, and even though he's only been there about a week, he's kicking some butt. I really have no worries, and I know we'll be ok. And for now, I'll be a stay at home wife, preparing to be a stay at home mom!! I'm actually quite grateful, because there is a lot I want to get done before our baby comes, and I think it's going to take me 3 months to get it all done! I had a huge list of things to do yesterday, and I barely made a dent. I guess even though I am feeling ambitious, my body is not. So I'm taking it one day at a time, but I'm sure it will take me a few weeks to get used to this. I've had a job since I was 15, so it feels really weird knowing that I'm not going to be working!!

But in happy news, if you look to the right, we are under 100 days! I've been waiting for the double didgits - she's going to be here before we know it!

13 comments:

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

wow.. that's crappy.. But I guess good at the same time.
I would give anything to be at home right now getting ready. I keep telling my husband that I dont want to go back to work after thanksgiving. But unfortunitly.. financially there is no way possible I could stay home. So I am very envious!! I reallly reallly hope everything works out..
BUT.. who is going to eat all of your sweets now???? I totally volunteer myself! I've had this craving for pumpkin lately that I just can't quench..

I'm with you on the working since I was able too... It must be a very strange feeling to not have to go to work. And to know you might not ever have to go back again! crazy.......

Cassie said...

Wow. It sounds like this may have been a blessing in disguise, though, since now you have more time to prepare for your baby girl...AND even more time to cook and bake! You are so fortunate that you're able to stay home! I truly hope this all works out for you and that it's a seamless transition!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

You know whats funny, my situation with Strikepoint was so similar. I chose to have them let me go because I was getting married and would be leaving anyway. Its funny how things work out but really I am sure it is a blessing in disguise. As weird as it its being unemployed after working so much you will adjust and your baby girl will keep you pleanty busy!!

Michelle said...

wow girl....i am sorry, but at the same time...I don't know if I've ever heard of someone w/ such a good attitude about being laid off. You are one amazing woman, and this will be a great transition for you! I have known you forever, and have known what a work-aholic you are....so enjoy every minute of it!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Wow, what craziness! But maybe, just maybe, what a blessing? The timing is pretty darn good for it, anyway :-) I hope it all works out wonderfully for you guys. As long as your health insurance is still good, that's the most important thing.

I also felt REALLY wierd when I stopped working. Now, after two years being at home, you'd be hard pressed to get me back in the work place!!! It's just too awesome being home. And I don't think I would be as appreciative of it if I hadn't put in all those years in the workforce. So ENJOY!

Abby said...

Sounds like it worked out for the best, really, if you were planning to be a stay-at-home mom, anyway! You're very lucky to be in that position this day in age!

jacque4u2c said...

I had my daughter nearly 8 years ago and I did not have the opportunity to take off any more time than 6 weeks. So enjoy it , relax and make the most of it. I keep wondering where these eight years have gone???? Time just flies! So please - take a deep breath - slow things down a bit and you and Josh enjoy this time. And then when the little one comes you will be able to embrace her even more.

jacque4u2c said...

I had my daughter nearly 8 years ago and I did not have the opportunity to take off any more time than 6 weeks. So enjoy it , relax and make the most of it. I keep wondering where these eight years have gone???? Time just flies! So please - take a deep breath - slow things down a bit and you and Josh enjoy this time. And then when the little one comes you will be able to embrace her even more.

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

I did get the ones that went on the inside of the door. (but we put them inside the cabinet.)
They hold.. (i think) 4 lids.
Mine dont fit super well in them.. but they work! and we're only like $3 a piece! Measure where to want them to make sure they'll fit!!!! (we didnt..)

Nazarina A said...

I think everything always happens for the best. Your body needs the R&R before that big day. Now you can practice your breathing exercises religiously with no thought of sitting at work!

Unknown said...

Oh my, oh my. I can't wait to talk to you!!

Charlie & Nikelle said...

Hi Deborah,

I tried calling you but I guess in the emotional state I was in on Friday I wrote down the wrong number. Thank goodness you have this blog so I could keep in touch with you. I hope everything is going well. I'm still on the job hunt. Call me and we can catch up 318-4251. -Nikelle

Syndi said...

Deborah, leave it to you to make the right decision for the company, you are always thinking about others. You'll love the time off, I took about 5 weeks off before Jake was born and that was the best thing ever to get all the stuff done I needed to do. Just relax and enjoy the sleep;)