Monday, July 18, 2011

Book #31 - Something Borrowed


Something Borrowed
Emily Giffin
  
Blurb: Meet Rachel White, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl--until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend Darcy throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiance'. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. In her wildest dreams (or worst nightmare?) this is the last thing on earth Rachel could ever have imagined happening. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. (From Goodreads)

Opening Sentence: "I was in the fifth grade the first time I thought about turning thirty."
 
Length: Medium - 341 pages

Notes: Don't ask me why I read this book.  I guess it's because I'm a sucker for books turned into movies, and I saw that this book was coming out as a movie.  But it's about a girl who has an affair with her best friend's fiance.  I should have known, right from that, that I wouldn't like this book.  It's hard to feel sorry for the main character when she is doing something like having an affair.   It almost feels like the author is trying to justify the affair and give reasons for you to side with Rachel, but I really don't see any circumstance where an affair is justified.  When I finished the book, I kept asking myself why I even wasted my time reading it.  So unless you are ok with affairs, I wouldn't recommend this one!

Random quote: “When you’re in love, sometimes you have to swallow your pride, and sometimes you have to keep your pride. It’s a balance. But when the relationship is right, you find the balance.”

Recommend: no



Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: