Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dream Big, Little Pig

When we go to the library, I'll let Abbi go crazy and choose what books she wants to check out. Without fail, we'll end up with lots of Dora, Barbie, Strawberry Shortcake, Olivia, Max & Ruby, etc.  But I like for her to choose at least one or two "other" books to branch out a little.  (Ok, I'll admit that I get a little tired of reading the character books to her over and over again!)  But with the "other" books, it's hit or miss whether it's a good book or not.  But sometimes we run across a book that both of us love.

I thought it would be fun to highlight the good ones that we come across - just in case you are looking for a book for your children.

First up - Dream Big, Little Pig by Kristi Yamaguchi.  I thought this was the cutest book.


It's the story of a pig named Poppy who desperately wants to be good at something.  She tries several things, and is told that she just isn't good enough.  But she is always cheered on by her family and her best friend.  Then one day, cheered on by her best friend, she tries figure skating.


Even though she is told that pigs can't skate, she is determined.  With lots of practice, Poppy learns how to become a wonderful skater.


Not only is it a cute story, but I think it's one with a great message behind it as well.  It's one I definitely recommend!

No comments: