Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2 Weeks

I can't believe my baby is already 2 weeks old. Exactly 2 weeks ago, I was in the hospital in labor, patiently awaiting her arrival. And now the last 2 weeks seem to have just flown by. We had her 2 week doctor appointment today. She weighed 8 pounds, 1 ounce when she was born, and was down to 7 pounds 8 ounces when we left the hospital. The doctor said they like for the baby to be up to their birth weight by the 2 week appointment, but she was a whopping 9 pounds. She takes after her daddy - she is definitely a good eater. I have been told to only nurse her for 8-10 minutes on each side and give her a pacifier the rest of the time - otherwise, I might start to have some problems. She doesn't really like the pacifier, though, so we are going to take a trip to the store today to find some new ones for her to try out.

We did take our first trip out of the house last night. It was my sister's birthday, so my sisters, sister in law and mom all met up for dinner. She was mostly good, although she decided to get hungry right in the middle of dinner. I'm not so good with the "discreet" nursing right now, so it was a bit of a challenge, but we made it through. And we'll see if we can make it through a trip to the store today!!

Here are some pictures - a few are blurry, but I still think she is the cutest little girl!!

She loves to smile, although I haven't been able to get a full smile on camera yet.
A typical Abby look - she always wrinkles her forehead!!
Another attempt at getting that smile!
Sleepy girl!
And just so he doesn't feel left out, I had to throw one in of Max. He's been so good!

11 comments:

Cassie said...

She is absolutely adorable, Deborah! What a little sweetheart. I'm glad things are going so well for you and that little Abby is thriving.

Re: the pacifiers...We use Soothies. They're the only ones Andrew will take. Maybe they'll work for your little girl!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

What a cutie.

As for the breastfeeding advice, may I gently point you to www.kellymom.com? I think you'll find a WEALTH of info on breastfeeding and whether or not you should limit your feeding times.

ENJOY her!!! You think two weeks goes fast? Two years flew by for me!!!!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

I was going to ask how max is taking to his new sister.
Riddick has just barely started to really like him. he bring toy after toy to the baby until they are all piled on top of him. Its so cute..

and sorry to be pushy.. but limiting your feedings???? i dont think that sounds right... she's not going to over eat. and it's about soreness on your part. See a lactation consultant. Your OB should be able to refer you to a good one. You have 2 different kinds of milk. Foremilk and hindmilk. The foremilk is thin and just kind of quenches their thirst. the hind milk is the thick stuff that fills their bellies. Foremilk goes through their systems REALLY fast and can make thier tummies really upset. if you limit her nursing time she most likely wont get the hindmilk she needs. Kellymom is a FABULOUS site. Whenever I google something I usually find the best answer there.
Do some research on your own before making a decision on that.. k???
And try every pacifier.. we have every kind ever made..and do you know which ones are the only ones he will take??
The vanilla green soothies that came from the hospital!! :)

Abby said...

She's a doll. And a big girl! It's so good to see that she's doing so well!

Cash didn't like pacifiers, either, and has always sucked his index finger. That's my strange little boy, for ya.

How is your swelling?

Michelle said...

she is so so so so so so cute! what a beautiful girl! Those are great awake pictures!

Jenny May McKim said...

She is so adorable!
Yeah the whole breastfeeding
in public.. I think I will be
the same situation.. Especially
with two. I made some super
cute breast feeding covers!
Do you have any???

She really is sweet. I love
how much hair she has!
She is going to be huge by
the time we get to meet her
in August!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

I'll answer here since it's easier for you to get too.
The book I have now is called Healthy Sleep habits, Happy Child.
It's very good.. but kinda an information overload.
It's main discussions are based around putting a baby to bed earlier helps them sleep better.
Another one that has been suggested to me is BabyWise. It's all about setting a pretty strict schedule all day and following it. I've read enough about it on the intenet that i dont feel like i need the book.
I realllly hope Abby stays a good sleeper too. It will make things so much better.
I'm glad you're having it easier than we did! :)
I'm sure all my stories before she was born about Miles scared you! :)and on the blessing.. i almost wish we had waited a little longer. its a lot of work to get everything together and planned. so dont rush it! :)

kellypea said...

Ah the memories! What a very sweet baby girl. Great expressions on that wise little face. I always wonder what they think about. *sigh*

Unknown said...

Abby is so beautiful! I love how she could almost have a hairstyle already. I'm so happy for all four of you (Max is included)!

Syndi said...

She is too cute, I can't believe you were able to get such cute pictures of her smiling and everything. I wish I could hold her, she looks so cuddly. I'm glad that she is gaining weight and looking healthy, you are so blessed to have that precious little girl. keep the pictures coming and stay off those feet, you need your rest.

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

I'm banning you from recipe updates until we get an abby update!!!!!!!!!
I just know you have at least half a million pictures..