Sunday, August 9, 2009

Vacation Day 3

Pictures from the stop along the road through the forest.

Day 3
July 31, 2009

More driving!! Really - we spent a lot of time in the car this trip, but we were able to see so many amazing things.

That morning, Bud & Karen treated us to a delicious breakfast of sausage gravy and biscuits before we all set out to drive to the coast. Bud took us on a road that went through the mountains, and was absolutely beautiful. We stopped once along the road so that I could take some pictures.

More stop along the road pictures.

Back on the road, we continued through the mountains until finally, we could see the ocean. It was quite foggy, so we really couldn't see much, but the glimpses I got were wonderful. We drove to Brookings, Oregon, where we checked into our hotel where we would be for the next 2 nights.

Through the window photography - first views of the ocean!

Josh and I decided to just take it easy for a bit while the other adults drove to see what time the seafood restaurant we wanted to go to for dinner was open until. When they got back, we unfortunately found out that they were closing early that night for a birthday party, so unfortunately - I didn't get to taste their clam chowder that everyone raves about.

View from Aunt Dorothy's house. You can't really tell since the weather was not optimal, but it was a great view!

Next stop was Aunt Dorothy's house - who is Mike's aunt. She lives on a beautiful piece of property that has an amazing view of the ocean. Even though the day was so foggy and overcast, I still got a good idea of what the view is there normally. She also had a huge lemon tree with Meyer lemons. If you've never tried a Meyer lemon, you really should try to find them, (although I don't see them here in Utah very often.) I believe they are a mix of lemon and orange. They are sweeter and less tart than a typical lemon, and they are delicious! We ended up picking some to take with us, (even though we had to smuggle them through California!!)

After visiting, Josh, Abbi, me, Mike, Marilyn, Bud, Karen, Michelle (Karen's daughter) and Karen's daughter all headed to dinner. There was another seafood restaurant close to the one we wanted to go to, but the line was really long and there was no where to sit. So we went a little further down and found another restaurant - Chetco Seafood. We enjoyed meals of lots of fried fish, clams, shrimp and scallops. I had to get my seafood fix while on the coast!

After getting back to the hotel, Josh, Marilyn, me and Abbi headed back out. I didn't realize it would be quite as cold as it was, so I wanted to pick up some socks for Abbi. Yes, I'm a bad mom and didn't pack for every occurrence! So we hit Fred Meyer where we bought socks and a jacket for Abbi - both of which got lots of use while we were on the coast! Then we stopped at a laundry mat to do some laundry for Josh since he discovered that he hadn't brought enough clothes. I hadn't been to a laundry mat for years! Then we headed back to the motel, ready for a good night's sleep.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

It looks like it was absoultely beautiful! Oregon is on my life list of places to visit.