Friday, October 15, 2010

Book #64 - A Girl Named Zippy

A Girl Named Zippy
Haven Kimmel

BlurbIf you look at an atlas of the United States, one published around, say , 1940, there is, in the state of Indiana, north of New Castle and east of the Epileptic Village, a small town called Mooreland. In 1940 the population of Mooreland was about three hundred people; in 1950 the population was three hundred, and in 1960, 1970, and 1980, and so on. The book that follows is about a child from Mooreland, Indiana, written by one of the three hundred. It's a memoir, and a sigh of gratitude, a way of returning. I no longer live there; I can't speak for the town or its people as they are now. Someone has taken my place. Whoever she is, her stories are her own (taken in part from the prologue).
 
Length:  Medium - 275 pages

Notes:  I really liked this book. I listened to the audio version, and it was a perfect book to listen to.  At first, it baffled me that this girl had written this book about her childhood - and it really is just random stories from her childhood - but it was so entertaining.  This could have been any one of us - although I don't think I had quite so many funny stories about growing up.  It made me wish that I had a better memory.  But I laughed.  A lot.  Out loud.  It was a thouroughly entertaining book!

Random quote :  "...she waited until she and my grandfather Anthel were just home from their honeymoon, and then sat him down and told him this: "Honey, I know you like to take a drink, and that's all right, but be forewarned that I ain't your maid and I ain't your punching bag, and if you ever raise your hand to me you'd best kill me. Because otherwise I'll wait until you're asleep; sew you into the bed; and beat you to death with a frying pan." Until he died, I am told, my grandfather was a gentle man."

Recommend: yes

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: