Thursday, May 15, 2014

Miami, FL - Day 1


It can get interesting traveling by yourself. I had a conference to attend in Miami, and since flights were already so expensive, I ended up choosing the cheapest flight I could find. Which meant I left Salt Lake at 7am and had to fly to LAX for a 3 hour layover, then fly from there to Miami.

 The first part of the trip was uneventful. The flight to LAX went smoothly. I had planned on getting something to eat there, but after being to cheap to pay $17 for an airport salad, I ended up getting some yogurt and granola (which was also overpriced and not very good at all). I knew the next flight was long, but I had a dinner to attend that night, so I thought I'd be fine.

 Well, little did I know that the weather was terrible in Miami, and that lots of flights that day were being cancelled and/or diverted to other area airports. So by the time our plane was there to land, there were lots of planes wanting to land at the airport at the same time, most of them planes that couldn't land earlier in the day because of the weather.


We started off doing circles over the Gulf of Mexico. Then they would say that they were back on track, only to get pushed back again and have to do more circles. I wish I would have taken a picture of the whole flight path. If I wasn't so tired, hungry, and ready to get off of the plane, it would have been comical. Then the pilot said that fuel was low, so we were going to have to head to the Ft. Lauderdale airport to refuel. And because our plane was so big, the Ft. Lauderdale airport wasn't big enough to handle the plane, so we'd have to just land on the runway to refuel.

Yeah, fun times.

Luckily, as we were getting ready to head up the the Ft. Lauderdale airport, the Miami airport was able to squeeze us in to land. It was raining pretty hard, and I later found out that there had been a tornado warning and that one of the runways was closed because it had flooded. So I'm just glad I landed safely.


I was so late, and it took me an hour to get my luggage, so I ended up missing my dinner that night. Luckily I had at least packed a bag of Pretzel Crisps with me! It was a very long day, but I was glad to be there!

After I got my bag and checked into the hotel, I headed over to a party thrown by Jenny from Picky Palate and Amanda from Kevin and Amanda at a Penthouse they were staying in a few minutes from my hotel.  The view was amazing, and it was so great to finally meet Jenny after "knowing" her online for so many years!  It was a late night, but a fun one!

No comments: