Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Secret is Out...


I can now let out my big secret - although probably everyone that reads this already knows! Yep, we're having a baby!!!

I'm so excited. I wanted to keep it a secret until we heard the heartbeat at out 12 week appointment, but Josh talked me into telling our families earlier on. And I may have just let it slip to a few friends! :) But we had out 12 week appointment yesterday, and the heartbeat was loud and strong, so I'm not keeping it a secret anymore!!

I'll share our little story, although once again, most people have heard it, but just so I have it down. Josh and I decided last year to start trying for a baby in January. I come from a family of fertile myrtles, so I figured I'd probably get pregnant that first month. When that didn't happen, I was sad, but realized it was only one month. It ended up taking about 5 months, which now that I think about it - is nothing. But when you are ready and eager, that 5 months seems to take forever. Before we found out in May, I was actually feeling like I wasn't pregnant. In the months previous, I became super sensitive to everything that was going on with my body, thinking that I was having pregnancy symptoms. So when I would find out I wasn't pregnant, it was very emotional. So in May, we were going to New York, and I knew that we would find out one way or another while we were there. But like I said before, I didn't feel pregnant at all, so I didn't have my hopes up. In fact, I had mentally prepared myself to not be pregnant, because I didn't want it to ruin our trip.

The night before we left, I kept thinking that I really wanted to take a pregnancy test before we left. I wasn't sure if it would even show yet, but I wanted to be prepared. I debated back and forth with myself. The next morning, I had my alarm set for 4:30am so that I could get ready and we could get to the airport on time. I woke up at 3am, and all I could think about was taking that test. So without telling Josh, I snuck into the bathroom. I had decided to take it, but if it was negative, I would just throw it away and not even tell Josh that I had taken one. I was really nervous, but I did my thing and left the bathroom, waiting for the test. A few minutes later, I walked back into the bathroom, and about died when I saw that there were 2 lines!! I was shaking terribly, so excited that I just wanted to scream.

Josh was out watering the flowers before we left, so I went out and asked him how long it would be until he was back inside. He told me 10 minutes. I wanted to make him come in, but I decided to wait until he came in. About 20 minutes later, he finally came in. I couldn't wait any longer. I asked him if he wanted to have a good trip to New York, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I led him into the bathroom, and I think he didn't believe it at first. Then he hugged me as I cried - I think we were both in shock!!

What a perfect beginning to our trip. I know we would have had fun anyway, but with that news, we were on top of the world. I still feel like I'm on top of the world.

I've been pretty lucky - I haven't really been sick at all. I had a couple of days that I got a bit nauseous, but no throwing up, and that lasted no time at all. I've been super tired though. There have been days that I've come home from work and fallen asleep at 6:30pm. I'm starting to feel a little more energetic, so hopefully I will be able to start getting some things done.

Like I said before, we had our first "official" visit with the doctor yesterday, and were able to hear the baby's heartbeat. I've never heard such a wonderful sound!! I had been an anxious mess waiting for that heartbeat. He/she's doing great - the heartbeat was around 168 bpm. All of my tests came back normal, and my doctor said my uterus is in a great position and everything looks perfect! I'm due January 25th - so just over 6 months from now. I feel anxious, eager, scared, excited - just about every emotion rolled into one. I'm so excited for this little one to get here, but I know there's so much to do between now and then!

And another great thing - my sister-in-law and 2 of my sisters are also pregnant!! Amy, (Charlie's wife) is due in just over a week, Kacy is due in September, Janell is due in November, and I'm due in January! Talk about timing!! They are all having boys, so it would be fun if we had a boy, too, because then there would be 4 cousins all the same age to play together. It's going to be a fun time!

So I'm sorry if everything on here becomes pregnancy related - this is my first, so I'm sure you all understand my excitement!

9 comments:

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

Well Congrats to you too! That is so exciting! We will definitely have to compare notes! Are you hoping for a boy or girl? I will be happy with either but I think that everyone in both of our families have it in for a girl, so we will see! Have you been sick? Let me know how your doing!

Unknown said...

Hurray!! I've been waiting for you to post this. I'm so excited for you!!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

My whole blog has turned into everything baby!!! It will be fun to read the things you are going through since I am just about 4 weeks ahead of you! My due date has been fluctuating between Dec 17th and Dec 21!

Jenny May McKim said...

Congrats you two..
I am so excited for you both.
I was wondering when you were
going to join in with your sisters.
So excited to jump on your blog to
see that.
Ryann is pregnant again too...
My turn next... Fingers crossed..
OH wait.. I need to wait until August
9th to start trying..

I look forward to all the baby related posts...

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Awwww my daughter was born January 25 :-)

I know that exhaustion...I would come home from work and literally collapse into bed for a few hours every day. It was awful! We're trying for number three now, and I don't know how I'll do it with a toddler running around!!!!

But hey..just think of all the great layouts you'll get to do now! Don't forget to take belly shots!!

Michelle said...

gosh - even though I've known about this for over a month - I still got all teary reading about it! You're going to be the perfect mom...I always told you you'd be the best wife and mom anyone could ever ask for! Congrats to you and Josh ! Love you guys!

Abby said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. I've just come to the end of the pregnancy journey, but it was a fascinating one, and I wish you all the best! Don't be worried - the delivery was the easiest part for me! (And how lucky are you to not be sick? I got TEN MONTHS of it! You lucky duck!)

glamah16 said...

Why am I just finding this out now(Did I miss something in the Taste and Tell posts?)! Big hug and ciongrats. I know you will be awesome Mom.

Lynne Daley said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Great news!