Monday, July 21, 2008

Opinions!!!


Ok, so I am a total first time mother. I'm kind of freaking out about everything, so I need lots of help and opinions - and I'm starting today! So please - all of you moms out there - please tell me what you what you think...

We've decided to just start buying things every week, from diapers to onesies to the big stuff, just so that we don't get closer to the end and have to buy everything. I figure if we buy it a little bit at a time, it won't feel like we're spending a ton of money all at the same time.

So on Saturday, I was walking through the baby section at Target. I wasn't planning on buying anything big quite yet, but this stroller/car seat combo caught my eye because it was on sale. I like the pattern because I think it would be good for a girl or a boy. It's normally $190 but on clearance for $134. But I'm scared to buy anything! I don't want to spend extra money on things that others think are not necessary, but I don't want to be cheap at the same time.

So what do you all think about the stroller/car seat combo? Is this like what you bought? Or did you buy them separate? I really need your opinions, so please let me know what you did with your first child, and if you would do the same if you were to do it again!

6 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

I don't like sets, personally. They sure are cute, but I don't like the safety ratings on most of the car seats that come in sets. We buy Britax car seats. We have the infant one and a toddler seat and LOVE them. As for strollers, I wore my babies in slings/Baby Bjorns when they were small enough so I never really used a stroller...I use one now, with a toddler...but I got it as a hand-me-down. My advice? Do your research on car seat safety ratings. Then if the one you choose happens to come in a cute set, go for it!

Michelle said...

okay, so we also didn't get the car seat/stroller thing....we got the car seat, and then just a frame that the car seat sits in. did you see those? we loved it, because then damon could stay in his car seat when he was little, but we never had to deal with a massive stroller. I just used an umbrella stroller when he was 1. I never "needed" the cup holder, and little tray, and basket underneath the stroller...the simpler the better for us. we loved just having the frame to set the car seat in when he was little ( and the frame did have the basket underneath).
let me know if you don't know what i'm talking about!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

You are totally smart doing that! We really should have started buying things little by little but I was so afraid to jinx things as we kinda had a rocky start.
As for the combo. I don't think I'm going to buy one. The best thing we've done is take a trip to Babies R us and "play" with all of the car seats. See how you release them from their bases.. feel the weight. see what we liked (and didnt like) with the different grips. They are pretty pricey there so we wont buy there but it was nice to "test drive" all the different styles. I think we are going to go with the Snap N' Go type stroller (Google it!) they look very easy to use and lightweight! and not to big or akward. And then at probably a year.. or soon we'll just move to an umbrella stroller. Those combos just seem so big and bulky. and they take up all the room in the trunk or back of an suv. have you looked at prices of cribs?? HA! It's so scary.. BUT KSL classifieds have tons of cribs for pretty good prices!

Janell said...

Well I'm in the minority here because I have the car seat/stroller combo and honestly, I love it! The car seat was easy to get out of the base which is definately something to look for, and it was super easy to just slip onto the stroller when we used it (and we used it often). The weight limit on the car seat is less than if you just buy the car seat seperate (does that make sense?) but that wasn't a problem for us because Ry never reached the limit until he was old enough to go in a front facing seat. Yes, the stroller is bulky but I still use it to this day. Of course I take it walking the trail since I don't have a jogging stroller (which I'd prefer) but I'd never be able to walk like I do with an umbrella stroller. I liked the idea of going to the store and test driving the strollers as well as checking the safety rating of the car seats (ours had a good rating by the way). I have more opinions about it, but you can just call me and ask if you want to hear :)

Abby said...

I got the Graco Snugride carseat and a separage Graco Snugrider frame that it sits in. A lifesaver - esp. when they're asleep in the car!

Ashley said...

I got the stroller/car seat combo and trust me, you will want it! It's really nice to just be able to take the baby out of the car, still sleeping, and stick the whole thing right in the stroller. I can't even imagine the hassle of waking the baby up to put her in the stroller! So I say get it! I would do it again easily!