Saturday, March 5, 2011

Book #13 - Let the Great World Spin



Blurb: In the dawning light of a late-summer morning, the people of lower Manhattan stand hushed, staring up in disbelief at the Twin Towers. It is August 1974, and a mysterious tightrope walker is running, dancing, leaping between the towers, suspended a quarter mile above the ground. In the streets below, a slew of ordinary lives become extraordinary in bestselling novelist Colum McCann’s stunningly intricate portrait of a city and its people. (From Goodreads)

Opening Sentence: "Those who saw him hushed."

Length: Medium - 349 pages

Notes:  Have you ever sat somewhere - like at a stop light, or in the mall - and looked around and wondered where everyone was going?  Or what their story was?  Or what they were thinking about?  This book kind of makes me think of moments like this.  This book contains the stories of many people, some whose lives intertwine, but mostly just about different people and where they were in life during a single event.  It was more like a bunch of short stories, although a lot of the characters ended up having to do with someone else's story.  I actually liked this book - but I have to warn that the language is terrible.    In fact, there was one character, about half way through the book, where I almost put the book down because the language was so bad.  I didn't finish the book thinking - that was a great book - but I didn't hate it either.  It was a middle of the road book for me!

Random quote: "Good days, they come around the oddest corners."

Recommend: eh....


Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

1 comment:

Abby said...

This is our book-club title for March. We're discussing it at our meeting next Friday. My sister said she can't finish it! I'm about 100 pages in, and I don't hate it, but I have no clue where it's going... (I didn't read your entire post just in case! Ha.) Hope you and Baby Easton are doing well!