Thursday, March 24, 2011

Book #16 - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie


The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
Alan Bradley


Blurb: It is the summer of 1950–and at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, young Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist with a passion for poison, is intrigued by a series of inexplicable events: A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak. Then, hours later, Flavia finds a man lying in the cucumber patch and watches him as he takes his dying breath.For Flavia, who is both appalled and delighted, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw. “I wish I could say I was afraid, but I wasn’t. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.” (From Goodreads)
Opening Sentence: "It was as black in the closet as old blood."

Length: Medium - 138 pages

Notes:  I really liked this book!!  It is told by a 11-year old girl, Flavia de Luce.  This girl is funny, and incredibly smart.  It is a fun mystery book that wasn't totally surprising, but not totally predictable at the same time.  It was also pleasantly clean as well.  Reading the reviews on Goodreads, some people loved Flavia and some couldn't stand her - I was one that loved her.  I look forward to reading the next book in this series.

Random quote:  "I remembered a piece of sisterly advice, which Feely once gave Daffy and me:
"If ever you're accosted by a man," she'd said, "kick him in the Casanovas and run like blue blazes!"
Although it had sounded at the time like a useful bit of intelligence, the only problem was that I didn't know where the Casanovas were located. I'd have to think of something else."

Recommend:  yes



Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: