Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book #14 - Rebekah


Rebekah
Orson Scott Card

Blurb: Born into a time and place where a woman speaks her mind at her peril, and reared as a motherless child by a doting father, Rebekah grew up to be a stunning, headstrong beauty. She was chosen by God for a special destiny.

Rebekah leaves her father's house to marry Isaac, the studious young son of the Patriarch Abraham, only to find herself caught up in a series of painful rivalries, first between her husband and his brother Ishmael, and later between her sons Jacob and Esau. Her struggles to find her place in the family of Abraham are a true test of her faith, but through it all she finds her own relationship with God and does her best to serve His cause in the lives of those she loves. (From Goodreads)

Opening Sentence: "Rebekah’s mother died a few days after she was born, butr she never though of this as something that happened in her childhood."

Length: Long - 413 pages

Notes:  This is the second in Orson Scott Card's "Women of Genesis" series.  I really enjoyed the first book in this series, and I've been wanting to read this one forever. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long - I really like these books! This really brings the story from the Bible alive. And it's reminded me just how much I really love historical fiction!  Even though this is fiction, I love how I will always remember the story of Rebekah now.  I can't wait to read the next in the series!

Random quote: "Jacob, haven’t you been paying attention? The Lord uses us frail humans to do his work. Miracles are rare. Blessings most commonly come to those who have worked hard and done all that was within their power to bring them to pass."

Recommend: yes


Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: