Friday, January 23, 2009

Learning Patience

39 weeks, 5 days

So we really thought Wednesday night was going to be the night. I started having regular contractions around 3pm. They weren't exactly painful, but more uncomfortable than all the other contractions I've been having. I started timing them, and timed them up until about 9:30 that night. They stayed mostly between 10 and 13 minutes, but every once in awhile, I'd have one every 7 minutes. I really thought that was the beginning. I even called my mom to make sure she had her phone with her at all times. I went to bed about 10:30, thinking that they would wake me up if they got any worse. I woke up a couple of times with strong ones, but by the morning, they were back to my "normal" not painful contractions.

I was really disappointed yesterday morning. Especially since they weren't still coming like they were that night. But I figured that I had a doctor's appointment coming up, and surely all these contractions were really pushing me along.

Early this morning, about 2am, I woke up feeling crampy. If I wasn't pregnant, I would have thought that I was about to start my period. My back was killing me, and I just generally didn't feel very well. I tried to sleep, but was quite restless the rest of the night, not getting very much sleep. This morning, the crampiness continued, and contractions started in. I didn't time any of them, but they were more painful than the ones the night before. My doctor's appointment was at 10:10, and I really thought he'd be sending me to the hospital from my appointmet. I seriously even took my packed bag. We headed off to the doctor, only to be disappointed again. Well, I shouldn't say disappointed because there was some progress. I am now dialated to a 3 1/2, and 80% effaced. Bad news, though, is that if I don't have this baby by 5pm tonight, chances of me getting my doctor to do the delivery are bad. He's not the on call doctor this weekend, and I found out today that he will be out of town next week. In fact, I had to make my next appointment with another doctor. He also let us know that they typically won't induce (since it's my first) until after 41 weeks. He stripped my membranes again, which didn't hurt as much as the first time, but probably because I knew what to expect this time. He said that he would be suprised if I didn't have her this weekend. But really, there is no way to know.

I know I just need to be patient and that she will come when she is ready. But it's hard when I just don't feel good. I feel queasy and crampy, the contractions are not comfortable, and my back is killing me. All signs that she might be here soon, though. I guess she is teaching me patience before she even gets here!!

8 comments:

Cassie said...

I remember how uncomfortable I felt late in my pregnancy -- and I only went to 37 weeks. What amazed me, though, is that all the crampiness and back pain and the feeling that my legs were being ripped in opposite directions every time I walked -- it all went away as soon as Andrew was born. Of course, it was replaced with pain of ANOTHER kind, but it was like immediately my body went back to feeling like it felt pre-pregnancy.

So if it's any consolation, all that pain will be gone soon! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she arrives this weekend! TODAY, even!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

sounds like great news!! really sounds like you are getting SO close. I never had that just yucky feeling but i know lots of people that have. you are exactly the same progress i was when I went into labor. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your water breaks. thats what sent me over the edge. i was sooo excited when that happened.
wasnt it absolutely torture to make that next appt?? i made my husband do it because i was so upset thinking i might make it that far! :)
I cant wait to see her...

Michelle said...

I'm sure it will be very very soon! Don't stress out...just relax when you can, and realize that this baby will be here any day...and no matter how long it all takes, it is worth every second of those 40 weeks. Remember that a very small percentage of women have their first babies before their actual due date...so you're right on track! love you! i'll be waiting for my call!

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

Sounds like you are close (closer than me!) Keep us updated...I hope that you have her soon...and i hope just as much that ours comes soon too! I am ready to get the labor over with!!

Sophie said...

Soo close! A friend of mine is due in just a few days as well! I can't wait to see pics of the new babies :D.

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Definitely sounds like progress is being made!! But darn your doctor!! I know that's adding to your anxiety. Thinking about you!!!!!

Abby said...

You are SO close. I bet next time I check here there will be a "She's Here!" post. (I do hope you post soon after she arrives!)

Just stay in whatever position makes you the most confortable. Even though I know there are few positions that ARE comfortable any more!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

just wanted to drop by and say I'm thinking about you......

Hope something happens this weekend...

can't wait to meet her! :)