Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year!!

I know I'm a few days late, but better late than never!! I just wanted to do a quick review of last year, and also list some resolutions for next year.

I was reading my sister's blog this morning, and she made a comment about how so many people say not to make New Year's Resolutions because no one ever keeps them. But I agree with her - it's good to write them down and at least have a goal to shoot for. I only made one resolution last year - and it was a food related one for my food blog- and I was able to complete it, so I'm proud of myself. But I've decided to write down a few personal goals for this year.

1 - This is going to be the year of pictures. I keep saying I want to learn more about photography and photoshop, and with a baby coming, what better time is there?? I'm so ashamed when I look through my archives of the last few years and see how many big things I missed in pictures. So family and friends - I apologize in advance if I always have a camera around my neck this year!! Along with this will come more regular blogging on this blog. I used to be really good about keeping a journal, and I really need to start again, but for the last few years this is all I have. And I want to journal more of my life here! The picture above was taken yesterday morning. I was out salting the driveway and sidewalk as the sun was coming up, and I couldn't believe how beautiful the sky looked against the mountains. I just had to run in and grab my camera to record the beauty of this earth!

2 - Both Josh and I have resolved to read the Book of Mormon this year. I haven't read through the BOM in years, so it's about time I do it again. We have a schedule, and I'm actually planning on reading out loud to the baby.

3 - Have more fun. I know this is pretty vague, but it seems like we are always either working, cleaning or just plain tired that we don't go out and do anything on a regular basis. We had vacations last year, but I want to do more locally - even if that just means going on a walk as a family or going to the park, or going to a museum or a movie. Something besides just crashing in front of the tv!

4 - Devise a budget. We have been extremely blessed - in a time when most people are struggling, I was able to leave my job and Josh has been successful in his new job. But even though we might not have to stress about money on a daily basis now, I want to do a better job at keeping track of our finances, be better about saving, and set up something for the baby.

5 - Since losing weight is one of the most popular resolutions, I'm adding this one is as well. I want to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by June, and hopefully 10 pounds lighter by next Christmas.

6 - Last but not least, I want to organize my office at home. I did it not too long ago, but since then, all of the storage that was once in the baby's room has been moved to the office, so it is now a storage room/office/pantry and a complete wreck. It's the one room in the house I walk into and feel anxiety, so it needs to be taken care of. Especially so I can keep the finances in order and start scrapbooking again!!

And I can't leave without highlighting a few things from 2008. It really was a great year - one of the best of my life. I would say that I can't see 2009 topping it, but I know that it will, just because our little girl will be joining our family!!

On November 15th, 2008, Josh and I were sealed for time and all eternity in the Mount Timpanogos temple. I still get tears of happiness in my eyes when I think of this day. Definitely one of the very best days of my life!!

We found out we were going to have a baby, and I experienced the joys of being pregnant last year. I'll never forget that moment when I saw the positive on the pregnancy test, and how happy and excited I was.

And along with the pregnancy, we found out that we are being blessed with a wonderful little girl. I have had so much fun preparing for her, and I can't wait to meet her in the next few weeks!!

We were able to take 2 vacations - we went to New York in May, and to Vegas in November. Both were so much fun, but we were especially glad to get to go to New York to see the Yankees in Yankee Stadium for the last year. New York is one of my favorite places, and Josh fell in love also. We didn't have time to see as much as we wanted to, so we hope to make it back in the next few years. And we've decided that our November Vegas trip will become an annual one.

These are just a few of the many highlights of the year. And now I can't wait to see what 2009 brings!!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

You truly did have a wonderful, blessed 2008, Deborah! Your 2009 is going to be SO AMAZING!

Unknown said...

Good resolutions and a good recap. Crazy you'll be a mommy in less than 3 weeks!