Saturday, January 31, 2009

Abby's Story


Wow - it might be a little harder to post than I thought it was going to be. I am so in love with this little girl - I don't want to put her down!!

So on Tuesday after I posted, my contractions started getting a little stronger, but nothing I couldn't talk through. We left to go to the doctor with our bags packed - I knew that even if it wasn't right then, it was coming soon. On the way to the doctor's office, I was timing the contractions about every 5 minutes, and they were starting to hurt. Right before we got there, I thought that I should have called to see if they wanted me at my appointment, or if I should just go to L&D since I knew I was close. Since I didn't call first, we went up to the office (which is just across the street from the hospital) and asked them. The receptionist went to find the nurse to ask, and came back and told us just to go to the hospital, since the doctor I was going to see that day was actually over at the hospital. So over to the hospital we went.

We went up to labor and delivery, where they showed me to a room and got me hooked up to all of the equipment. They told us that it was really busy that day and that they were having a hard time finding rooms for everyone - which made me worried that they would send me home. The nurse checked me, and I was a bit disappointed when I was still at 3 1/2 cm - same as the Friday before. But the good news was that my contractions were every 2 -3 minutes apart, and getting stronger. I was ecstatic when they came and and told me they were moving me to a delivery room!!

From here, it all went pretty smoothly. The doctor - Andrea Smith (who was on call for my doctor who was out of town) came in and checked me again - up to a 4 at this point. She broke my water to speed things along a bit. When she broke my water, she noticed that there was meconium in the water, so I had to have a tube put in me that flushed water through to try to clear it out. It wasn't bad, so they weren't too worried - just a precaution. I have to say, it was quite weird, laying there in a bed with fluids running in and out of me!

Shortly after that, I got my epidural, which was pretty painless. It took a little while for it to kick in, so I got to experience some good contractions. Once the epidural took over, my contractions did slow down just a bit, so they supplemented me with pitocin to keep things going. From this point forward, I progressed fairly quickly.

At about 10 to 8, I started pushing. I had Josh there on one leg, my mom on the other leg, and my mother in law holding my head. I have to say, I had the best team there. It was really a different experience, because I couldn't feel a thing because of the epidural. I didn't really know where or how to push because I couldn't feel anything, but they were the best coaches, cheering me on when things were good. The nurse told me I would probably end up pushing for 1 1/2 to 2 hours since it was my first, but just under an hour later, at 8:43pm, Abby came into this world.

It was all such an amazing experience. Josh and I both bawled like babies, and I haven't been able to keep my eyes off of her since. I am so in love!!

Things are going fairly well right now. Josh has been great - taking such good care of both of us and the dog. My feet are really swollen, so I've been trying to stay off of them, and I ended up needing an episiotomy (sp?) so I'm trying to heal from that. If it wasn't for those 2 things, I would feel great right now!! She's a good eater, although my milk hasn't come in yet, but she's still been a trooper. I actually had 2 periods of 3 hours of sleep in a row last night, so hopefully that will continue! The only trouble we have had so far is that she doesn't like to get put down, so one of us is basically holding her all of the time. I'm sure once she gets used to this new place that will get better.

I'm sure I'll have all kinds of photos coming up. I told Josh we will need a new hard drive to store them all becasue I've already gone crazy! And I'm planning on using this as my way to keep a journal of everything.

I love my little girl!

13 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Awww, congrats again!!! Enjoy your little girl!

Cassie said...

I'm so happy that everything went smoothly for you, Deborah. I know I don't even need to tell you to enjoy every moment; it's clear that you are! Your daughter is beautiful!!!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad that it was a good experience. She is absolutely beautiful! I'm glad you had a good support team there with you! love you! congratulations my sweet friend! you're a mom!!!!!

Syndi said...

Abby is so sweet. Congratulations! Being a mom is the best. Get all the sleep you can and just have fun. p.s. I got your message, but I wanted to give you some space so I'll call next week.

Amy Mitchell said...

Congratulations!!!
I am so happy she is here and healthy- She is such a pretty baby! I can't wait to meet her and hold her- see you soon-
love- Amy

Jenny May McKim said...

Again, congrats you guys..
She is soooo beautiful and can't wait
to see more photos and hear about
how much you are loving being a
mom.
Glad to hear everything went as
"smoothly" as giving birth can be.
Again so happy for you all.

kellypea said...

Oh, such a very sweet and beautiful baby girl! Congratulations to you. Brings back some very old memories reading this, and I enjoyed every bit of it. So precious!

Sophie said...

What a story! It sounds like you had a very smooth delivery :). Beautiful girl she is! Congrats again!

Kacy & Adam said...

Awe..she's gorgeous Deb!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

wow.. sounds like things went really smoothly.. We are pretty lucky that we aren't some of those people that are in labor for 30+ hours with our first.. and they say it gets easier with each one!
She's so beautiful.. I hope she's adjusting better than our little guy..
congrats again...
Oh.. by the way.. i had a 2nd degree tear.. not an episiotomy.. but seriously that look the longest to recover from.. I could still feel it and it was still tender for at least 3 weeks.. so give it some time and be gentle! :)

jacque4u2c said...

She is precious! Congratulations!

jacque4u2c said...

She is precious! Congratulations!

Jenny May McKim said...

I know you must be so busy
with little Abby.. We need
more photos :) PLEASE