Friday, May 21, 2010

Book #33 - The Book Thief


The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

I really don't know what to say about this book, except for that it touched me. There are some books that you want to keep reading so that you can get to the end to find out what happens, and there are some books that you want to keep reading because the story is just so beautiful. This is one of the latter. Beautiful and tragic. I don't usually love to read books about WWII or the Holocaust because they are just too real and sad for me. And while this book does have sad parts, it also shows how wonderful people can really be. I was dragged into the life of Liesel Meminger, and I didn't want to leave. The book is long - just over 550 pages, but I wouldn't have minded if it went on even longer.

I do have to say that this is listed as a Teen book, but I'm not sure if I would have appreciated it as a teen. But as an adult, I absolutely loved this book!

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

I loved this book too. LOVED it! It's one of my Top 10 of all time!

Shauna said...

I, too, loved this book, and I read Holocaust books voraciously because I feel we need to, we can't risk forgetting. Please, any of you who liked this book, read MAUS I and II (graphic novels/comic books) and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. You will not be sorry.