Saturday, July 3, 2010

Book #43 - Light a Penny Candle


Light a Penny Candle
Maeve Binchy

Blurb: The chaotic events of World War II find a shy young English girl in Ireland under the care of the wild and boisterous O'Connor family. It is through them that she meets the young lady destined to become her best friend and together they will endure years of change, joy, sorrow, soaring dreams, bitter betrayals, and an unbreakable bond that nothing could tear asunder. (From Goodreads)

Length: Long - 582 pages

Notes: I have actually read a few books by this author, but it was many, many years ago. I guess that's why I decided to read another one of her books, because I remember really liking the others that I read. This is Maeve Binchy's first book. I think I just didn't get it. There wasn't really a plot - just the story of the lives of two girls who become best friends. I've read other books that are kind of the same in that there isn't a main point or main plot, but this book felt really choppy and superficial. I never really felt like I got to know any of the characters well enough to connect with them. Not that I think I would have connected with them anyway, because they weren't the most likable people in my opinion. I had a really hard time getting into this book and never really got excited about it. Plus, it is full of sex. There not any graphic descriptions, but so much of it is about affairs, pre-marital sex, and even abortion - throw in some alcoholism and really, this book was just not one that I was ever going to love.

Random quote : "They stood under the big arch at Euston, unaware of the admiring and interested glances that were directed at the redhead and the blonde, both of them wiping their eyes and clutching on to each other with a mirth that had quite a lot of hysteria in it."

Recommend: No.

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: