Saturday, July 24, 2010

Book #48 - Miss Julia Speaks her Mind

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind
Ann B. Ross

Listened to the Audio Version

Blurb: When Hazel Marie Puckett and her nine-year-old son, Little Lloyd, show up on Julia Springer's doorstep in Abbotsford, North Carolina, Miss Julia receives the shock of her long and proper life. After 44 years of marriage to pillar-of-church-and-community Wesley Lloyd Springer, she discovers that while she had assumed he was working late at the family bank, he was engaged in other, more carnal, pursuits. For, as Hazel Marie shyly explains, Little Lloyd is Miss Julia's late husband's son. His arrival in Miss Julia's life sets off a chain of events that involves a hypocritical minister, a violent beating, a crooked televangelist, a high-speed car chase, a kidnapping, and a surprising revelation about her late husband's will. Miss Julia not only speaks her mind but also comes to a deeper understanding of the meaning of love, friendship, and trust (from Booklist)

Length: Medium - 228 pages

Notes: Do you know those movies or tv shows where the main character does everything wrong? Where you get so mad, because if they would do the one logical thing, the chain of events would have been completely different and they would have completely avoided all the problems that have been created? That's kind of how I felt about this book. Honestly, I was completely frustrated through the whole thing. I didn't find any of the characters endearing, and I just wanted to shake some sense into Miss Julia. I think that she is supposed to grow into this independent woman by the end of the book, but I still thought that she needed some common sense. This is the first in a series of books, but I think I was frustrated enough that I won't be continuing to read anymore of them!

Random quote : "I don't believe in speaking ill of the dead, even when it's the truth."

Recommend: No

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: