Friday, July 9, 2010

Book #46 - Lemon Tart

Lemon Tart
Josi S. Kilpack

Blurb: Cooking aficionado-turned-amateur detective, Sadie Hoffmiller, tries to solve the murder of Anne Lemmon, her beautiful young neighbor - a single mother who was mysteriously killed while a lemon tart was baking in her oven. At the heart of Sadie's search is Anne's missing two-year-old son, Trevor. Whoever took the child must be the murderer, but Sadie is certain that the police are looking at all the wrong suspects - including her!

Armed with a handful of her very best culinary masterpieces, Sadie is determined to bake her way to proving her innocence, rescuing Trevor, and finding out exactly who had a motive for murder.

Length: Medium - 348 pages

Notes: I will totally admit that I chose this one from the cover!! You know I love food, and I love a good mystery, so when you combine the two, of course I'm going to be interested! This is actually classified as "LDS Fiction," and since I haven't read any LDS fiction, I didn't really know what to expect. To be honest, I was expecting a little bit cheesy with lots of references from the church thrown in. And while at times it came of a tiny bit cheesy, I was surprised that there were no church references in it at all. Maybe it's classified that way just because the author is LDS?? Anyway, it was a cute book. Nothing earth shattering, but I don't think it was meant to be. It was cute and fun, and a good book to read if you are looking for something that doesn't take too much brain power. There were times that I felt like the writing was really juvenile, but it was only moments of the book. Plus the fact that there are recipes included is a huge plus. (I've already made the brownies - they were soooo good - and I plan on making the lemon tart.)

Random quote : "But the worry for her young friend returned as Sadie looked at the steaming confection. No one worked this hard on a lemon tart and treated it like it was any old frozen pie. Something was very wrong."

Recommend: Yes

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: