Monday, May 18, 2009

2009 Garden


We have our garden planted! Actually, we planted it over a week ago, but I haven't had a chance to go through the pictures until today.

Last year, we had a ton of tomatoes - so many that we couldn't keep up with them. This year we went down to 4 kinds - 5 plants, but we went crazy on the melons this year! We made the garden bigger so that we could spread the plants out more this year, too. Our plants grow HUGE - I'm guessing it's because we use my Uncle Steve's "magic compost" and it makes for some great veggies!

The sad thing is that some of the plants aren't doing so well right now. We are in the process of putting in the sprinkling system, and the garden has been neglected a little bit. Which is not good with the heat we've been having the last few days. I've been out giving the plants some tlc today, so hopefully they will all survive and we will have a bounty this fall!

Plants planted:

1 - Lemon Cucumber
2 - Crookneck Squash
3 - Pickling Cucumber
4 - Burpless #26 Cucumber
5 - Zucchini Elite Summer Squash
6 - Honey Dew Melon
7 - Hale's Best Jumbo Cantaloupe
8 - Rock Star Cantaloupe
9 - Ambrosia Melon
10 - Sangria Watermelon
11 - Mama Mia Tomato
12 - Beefsteak Tomato
13 - Celebrity Tomato
14 - Sweet 100 Tomato
15 - Red Knight Sweet Pepper
16 - Sweet Basil
17 - Golden Summer Sweet Pepper
18 - Tiburon Poblano Hot Pepper

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Wow, what a beautiful garden! I especially love the Burpless Cucumber and the Rock Star Canteloupe, because those names are AWESOME.

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

Will you come plant my garden.. :(

I have no desire to do it this year.. we only have a small area and last year we had 3 tomato plants and HOLY COW we were up to our ears in tomatoes.. Our lemon cucumber never gave us any cucumbers.. and we only got 1 jalepeno and one bell pepper!!
See why I'm not interested?? I have no clue what I want to grow this year...

Abby said...

I wish I was your neighbor! I have little to desire to grow them, but I love to eat 'em.

You'll have to make tons of pickles and tomato sauce. That's what we do with all the surplus! (My dad grows tons, too.)