Friday, May 8, 2009

Tulip Festival

Did you know that during the middle ages, a single tulip bulb sold for the equivalent of $5.5 million dollars? I didn't either, until reading that at the Tulip Festival, held at Thanksgiving Point.

This is one of those things that I always wanted to do, but never have been able to because I was working. I just could never justify taking a day off of work for this, and I didn't ever want to fight weekend crowds. But now I wish I would have been going for years, because it was absolutely beautiful!

I joined up with Janell and her family one afternoon and we ventured through the over 250,000 tulips.


This is my sister and her cute family. Rylan totally cracked me up when he asked to take some pictures. Kevin handed him the camera, and he totally looked like a pro! He even paused after each shot to look at his work on the screen. I think we have a future photographer on our hands!!


I took so many pictures - it was hard to choose just a few to post! And this is one of the very few pictures I have of me and Abbi - I guess that's what happens when your the one always behind the camera!

At the end of the month, they dig up all the tulips and sell the bulbs. I'd like to go buy some, because these were gorgeous flowers!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

what a fun post, and what beautiful pictures! your little angel is soooo cute! you look great!

Jenny May McKim said...

Beautiful photos...
The deer ate all my flowers so your post was a welcome array of colours.. Stupid Deer!

You do look great, and what a cutie.. She is growing like crazy..

You look so happy, and you deserve to be!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

She looks so grown up!!

I have never been to tulip festival either.. I guess this year wont be my year.. :(

But i will go sometime.. I bet it was really pretty..

And really? Tulip bulbs were that expensive.. holy cow!! I wonder why anyone would buy them.. I might consider if it was a plant with a lot of flowers, but considering it makes one flower then its gone.. no way!!!

Anyway.. sounds like a fun day. Abbi looks so pretty with her flower!

TheKeilShpeel said...

Those flowers are gorgeous. I can't believe Kevin trusted Ry with the camera..

Cassie said...

What beautiful photos! It sounds like you guys had a great time.

Cate said...

Everything is so pretty and colorful - the photo of you and your daughter is gorgeous!