Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sleep Training - Day 3, 4 and Beyond!!

I just have to say - I'm so proud of my little girl! I don't even feel like I need to chronicle her sleep training anymore, because she has got this down! Believe me, I was prepared for a few weeks of tears, so my original thought was to blog about it for support.

And thank you all for your wonderful words of support. I was really afraid that I would be criticized for letting her "cry it out" but it sounds like this has worked for many of you. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for sharing your stories with me and supporting me!

But here it is, day 4, and I just put her down for the night without a peep. I do have to say that most naps and bedtime she cries for a minute or two, but there has not been one missed nap time since that first day. Her naps are not quite as long as I'd like them to be, but they are ranging from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. (Most of them 40 minutes to an hour). And she did sleep through the night again last night.

The best part is that I am not having to rock her to sleep. Not that I don't like to rock her to sleep, because I think I'm really going to start missing that, but it took so much time out of my day. And I hated that before, no matter how long I rocked her, the minute I would put her down she would be awake again. Now, we go in her room, read a book or two, give her kisses, turn on her music and put her in bed. I walk out, and within minutes, she is asleep.

It is amazing. I can't believe this worked so fast.

So now back to regular posting. Thank goodness, because lately I feel like I have so much to write about!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

AWESOME!! I'm so glad it worked out for you. Way to go, little Abbi!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

You have inspired us! After reading your first post I decided that we need to get out of the habit of rocking Miles to sleep to. We normally spend 30-45 minutes a night trying to get him to sleep. Only to have him wake right up when we lay him in his crib, then the cycle starts all over. It's so tiring! So we decided to try to just put him in his bed when its bed time. He NEVER cried!! The first night he fell asleep after about 30 minutes of just "playing" and last night it only took him about 10 minutes. I couldnt beleive that we spent all that time getting him to sleep when he could do it himself! He does cry it out for naps, but Aaron says it hasnt been longer than about 10 minutes lately..
Thanks for inspiring us!!!

The next things on our list is to try to add more book time. (or some book time at all!!) and to have family prayer every night before we put him in bed...

I'm glad its going so well for you and that she's sleeping through the night..

You're going to be like a whole new woman!! :)