Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Ladybug Birthday

I've mentioned before, but Abbi's nickname is Bug. Which is why she was a ladybug for Halloween, and why I'd been looking at ladybug cakes for months before her birthday. I knew I wanted to throw her a birthday party, and a ladybug birthday party was planned!

It wasn't anything big, just mostly family and a few friends over for cake and treats and to hang out. I got ambitious and decided to go with this cake design that I saw online, even though I don't really have much experience with fondant. It was actually much easier than I thought it was going to be. Probably because the top layer - the ladybug - is not even cake. It's a rice crispy treat. A little trick I learned from watching Food Network!! The black fondant was hard to work with, but everything else wasn't so bad.

The bottom cake was chocolate, then the round cake on top of that was white cake with a blackberry whipped cream filling. The outside of the cake was frosted with buttercream, then the fondant went on for the decorations. (To find out the recipes, check out my food blog.)



The ladybug on top was my favorite, although not perfect. But it was fun to do (although a little bit stressful!)
We also had ladybug cupcakes.


And chocolate dipped caramels.


Josh's mom also made some mini cakes, and there was candy galore. We definitely had plenty of food (and way too much left over!)


I'm so grateful that I was able to have so much family come. I kept telling everyone that I know that Abbi didn't really know what was going on, but I wanted an excuse to invite everyone over!




Abbi was a bit grouchy because she didn't have an afternoon nap, but I hope she still had fun. She got some great presents, and we will be getting her big present soon - a new carseat. I would say the party was a success!

4 comments:

Cassie said...

How fun!! That cake is amazing, Deborah!!

Michelle said...

happy birthday to the sweet girl! and everything looked amazing! you are such the little party planner! I loved all the food and that cake is so so so so cute! wish I had those skills!

Katrina said...

Awesome cake and great job and happy birthday to your darling daughter! I have so enjoyed just watching her grow on your blog.
I got a little chuckle with the picture of the four men next to the pink table and balloons! ;)

I'm so behind on blog reading, but nice little catch up here on Abbi walking, turning 1, etc!

Abby said...

WOW. You did an amazing job! Can't believe it's already been a year. Where does the time go?