Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Book #24 - Olive Kitteridge

Olive Kitteridge
Elizabeth Strout

This is one of those books that I've seen on lots of people's "read" or "to read" lists. In fact, about a month ago, I was in getting my hair cut, and the girl in the chair next to me was reading this book. (It started up a whole conversation on books, which made me add even more to my "to read" list!) She said that it was a little depressing, so I was prepared for it. But it really is a depressing!! The way the book is written is quite interesting. The book is all based around Olive Kitteridge, but most of the chapters are written from different people's views and lives. They don't all have something to do with each other, other than where they all live, but they are all tied back into Olive Kitteridge in one way or another. I found myself getting a little confused - just like I did in The Joy Luck Club. There were a lot of people to keep track of. The writing was good, though, but I just didn't find myself getting totally engrossed in the book because there were so many stories going on. There is a lot of sadness and death, though, so if you are looking for an uplifting book, this one isn't the one!

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: