Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Book #26 - The Last Song


The Last Song
Nicholas Sparks

I have to admit that I was a little hesitant to read this book, especially after the last Nicholas Sparks' book that I read let me down a little bit. But I saw it at Costco, and I did what I rarely do - I bought it. I had a library book I was reading at the time, and then another one or two that I had requested that became available that I read first. Then I had the last book that I read that I had to review. Then I found myself with no library books, so I decided to pick this one up. I'm really glad I gave this one a chance!!

It was typical Nicholas Sparks, in that there is lots of crying, a love story, and some sort of tragedy. But it had a good ending - which is why I think I didn't like Dear John - because I hated the ending. The thing that is interesting about this book, though, is that Nicholas Sparks also wrote the screenplay for the movie. In fact, he wrote the screenplay before he even wrote the book. And he knew that Miley Cyrus was going to be Ronnie before he wrote it, too. Interesting. But one thing that I don't understand about that is that Miley Cyrus doesn't fit the description of Ronnie in the book. And from what I can tell from the movie trailer, she still doesn't fit the description of Ronnie.

This one is a page turner, though. And there is one point in the book where you just have to keep going - unless you want to cry for more than one sitting! I bawled like a baby, which is typical. And I ended up staying up until 1am this morning to finish it because I couldn't put it down. I knew that if I tried, I would just lay there and think about it!

If you are a Nicholas Sparks fan, you'll love this one!

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

2 comments:

Cinderella, the A-Train and Our Little Caboose said...

I read this book a while ago (before the movie came out) and I loved it!! The only parts I hated reading were the Marcus parts, sometimes they bored me. Anyway, I too stayed up until WAY past my bedtime reading it...and finished it in two days I think. Great book, and I also liked the movie...but then again I don't mind Miley Cyrus (most of the time)...so I enjoyed it!

TheKeilShpeel said...

i havne't read it but my mom has and it's sitting actually on my computer desk right now.. maybe I'll try it :). I have Dear John right here on the desk too.. neither have been touched. :)