Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Festivities - 2010


Easter 2010 - what I thought was going to be sort of a "strange" holiday turned into being one of the most memorable Easters that I can remember!!

I have been saying for a couple of weeks now that Easter was going to be kind of different this year because we wouldn't be going to church on Easter. It was Conference weekend, so it was different to think about sitting and watching tv in our pjs versus going to church in a new Easter dress. But then the weekend came, and I couldn't think of a better way to spend Easter Sunday. Instead of just going to our meetings on Sunday, we got a full weekend of gospel messages!

The festivities started off with the Easter egg dying. Josh and I have never dyed Easter eggs together. And really, Abbi is still to young to participate, and she wasn't even really interested. Until she saw the egg Josh made her with a paw print from Blue's Clues. Then she just wanted that egg!


But Josh and I had fun dying eggs for the first time. Soon Abbi will be old enough to participate!




She mostly just sat in her highchair and ate muffins. At least it kept her occupied!


Then Easter morning, we woke to several inches of snow.


Doesn't really look like springtime, does it??

I was a bad mom this year and the Easter bunny didn't even really bring anything fantastic. But Abbi got to try her first peep, (which she sort of ate, but didn't love it). I think she was more excited to play with the paper at the bottom of the basket than anything else! I didn't even get her an Easter dress since we weren't going to church that day. But hey - I don't think she knew any different!!


She did really love the bunny on a bike, though, and loves pushing it across the tile. (Josh and I ate the jelly beans - are jelly beans a choking hazard for a 14-month old, or are they ok??)



Then the plan was to go down to my parent's house for an Easter lunch. Only part of the family was there, but I was happy to be spending the holiday with family.



Of course, there was way too much food. But it was all delicious.










My mom had been receiving text updates on my grandpa all morning, and he was progressively getting worse. When we were almost finished eating, a text came that made it sound quite urgent to get to the hospital. My mom and dad headed to the hospital while the rest of us cleaned up. Then we all headed to the hospital. A couple of hours later, my grandpa passed away. It was a sad moment, but I can't think of a better day to pass away. Promises of eternal life through the Savior's resurrection - a perfect reminder that we will be reunited again one day.

After we all left the hospital, we headed back to my parent's house to eat dessert and for the kids to hide eggs. It was still pretty cold outside, so my dad hid the eggs in the house and the kids had a blast looking for eggs. Abbi wasn't really interested, until she found a green egg and tried to eat it. Her mouth and face were such a pretty shade of green!

It wasn't the most traditional Easter, but like I said before, a very memorable one!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

It definitely sounds memorable! All that food looks so delicious. And I never noticed before how much you look like your dad! It's crazy!

Abby said...

So sorry to hear about your grandfather, but you're right, if ever there was a day for hope it's Easter.

We didn't dye eggs this year, either. My child would have most certainly tried to drink it. HA.