Sunday, June 13, 2010

Book #39 - The House at Riverton

I ran across a book blog online the other day, and I really liked the layout of her book reviews. So I'm going to steal the way she did it and try it out!

The House at Riverton
Kate Morton

Blurb: Living out her final days in a nursing home, ninety-eight-year-old Grace remembers the secrets surrounding the 1924 suicide of a young poet during a glittering society party hosted by Grace's English aristocrat employers, a family that is shattered by war.

Length: Long - 496 pages

Notes: I really liked this book. More than I expected I would. I try not to really read a lot of reviews before I read a book so that my opinion isn't swayed, but sometimes I get caught up. This book had lots of good reviews and lots of bad, so I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it. But I totally got pulled in by this book. It's not the fairy tale happy ending kind of book, and when it's over, you are questioning how the book ends, but I can't imagine it ending any other way. I was able to predict many of the things that happened, but there were still a few surprises at the end. The only thing that I don't love is that an extra-marital affair plays a big part of the story. But you couldn't take it out, because it is one of the main parts! But it is overall a pretty clean book - only one swear word that I remember. There are mentions of sex, but nothing graphic at all.

Random quote : "She's one of the few people able to look beyond the lines on my face to see the twenty-year-old who lives inside."

Recommend: Yes

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: