Friday, April 17, 2009

A First


This, ladies and gentlemen, is a small victory for us. I mentioned last month that Abbi had been struggling with sleeping in her bed. It was always the swing or in my arms. Well, for the last few weeks, our goal has been to get her to sleep in the pack and play at night. I still let her take naps in her swing - baby steps here. The nights have been going MUCH better. She'll sleep in the pack and play from about 9pm to 4 or 5 am, usually waking up once in that time to eat - but sleeping in the pack and play. The only way I have got this to work is by buying one of those swaddle blankets and keeping her wrapped up like a burrito at night. I don't bother with it during the day, so needless to say, she won't sleep in her bed for naps during the day.

Well, in the last week, I've discovered that I can get a quick shower in by putting her in the pack and play and turning on the mobile. I'll get a good 6 minutes before I hear her cries - begging for attention. Today, it was nap time, so I put her in the bed and sprinted to the shower, just wanting a few minutes to scrub myself down and wash my hair.

I washed my hair - no cries.

I conditioned - still no cries.

What? Am I actually going to be able to shave my legs?? I shaved - still no cries.

I was doing a final rinse down, and thought I heard some whimpers, so I hurried out to dry. Wrapped in my robe, I walk into the bedroom to find this - Abbi's first nap in her bed - and not wrapped up in her burrito blanket!! I'm thinking we need to try this more often!

6 comments:

Cassie said...

That is AWESOME! Having been through it myself I know what a huge victory this is for you guys. I hope it continues!!

I don't think there is a thing cuter in this world than a sleeping baby. Those cheeks, my goodness, I want to reach right into the computer screen and pinch them!

Ryley @ That's My Family! said...

Oh thats sooo awesome!!! I always wished Miles liked those swaddle blankets... but he doesnt..
It maybe be worth trying them for naps during the day!!!
He wont nap during the day in his bed for more than 20 minutes either!
I bet things are starting to change.. Yippe for things getting easier!!! :)
(on a side note.. doesnt this make you wonder how you are EVER supposed to have another one? I mean can you imagine having to take care of Abbi's needs while holding another baby 24 hours a day?? i worry about that alll the time!)

Janell said...

yippee!! and look how cute she is just sleeping there. You were brave to take a picture...I always worry it's going to wake them up :)

Jenny May McKim said...

I am so hoping that since the girls were in the NICU that they will be fine being put down.. I just won't have the ability to always hold both of them :)

Abby said...

She's just growing up! It will get much easier - especially when she learns to roll over and can sleep on her belly!

Cash has hit the 9-month sleep regression and is eschewing naps. Completely. But he's sleeping at night for the most part so I'm trying not to complain....

Michelle said...

yeah! that's great! the swaddle me blankets are the best. velcro those babies up! They really are great! I'm glad the sleeping in bed thing is getting better!