Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Book #70 - Magyk


Angie Sage

Blurb:  The seventh son of the seventh son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a new born girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus? (from Goodreads)

Opening Sentence:  "Silas Heap pulled his cloak tightly around him against the snow."

Length: Long - 564 pages

Notes:  I know I said I was going to steer clear of the YA books for a little bit, so instead of reading teen books, I'm reading junior books!!!  Really though, this is another that I'm not sure how it made it to my "to read" list, but I'm glad it did.  I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I liked it!  A lot of reviews that I read compared it to Harry Potter, but besides the fact that they both have magic in them, I really didn't see any resemblance.  One review I read complained that they thought the author was talking down to them, but hey - it's a book for 10 year olds. It is a huge book - over 500 pages, but reads super fast.  I've already checked out the second book in the series to read!!  (Oh, and I just saw a movie version is planned to be released in 2012!)

Random quote : "Things do have a habit of working out. Eventually."

Recommend: yes 

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have a lending library in our resident lounge and I had seen this book earlier and didn't think I'd want to read it. Then I saw it again the other day and realized it was a book you had reviewed...I picked it up and started it today. Might take me awhile b/c I only read while I work out but it should be fun!