Tuesday, December 21, 2010

First Big Owie

I guess every mother has to go through that first time of having her child get hurt and feeling like a horrible mother.  Mine was this week.  We were going to go see the lights at Temple Square on Monday night, so Abbi & I were just going to meet Josh at work and go from there since it's on the way.  We left a little early to stop at Target to pick up a few things.  All was well until we went to check out, and Abbi wanted to sit in the back of the cart.  I always try to get her to sit in the front, but it's a battle I don't usually fight too hard, because at least she is in the cart and not running around and away from me.  Well, we went to go to the car, and she was standing in the car.  And then I hit a bump.  The cart stopped, but Abbi did not.  I saw her fall from the cart, head first, onto the pavement.  I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life.  I picked up my baby, and cuddled her.  She was crying, but not hysterical, but I still felt so terrible.  We went and sat in the car, and I didn't know what to do.  She had mostly calmed down - so I called Josh and we headed over to his work since we weren't very far away.  We decided not to go to the lights because I was worried - how do you know if they have a concussion?  The whole way home, I sang songs with her, counted with her, and said the ABC's - just wanting to make sure she was ok.  When we got home, she acted completely ok and just wanted to run around and play.  I'll admit that I slept horrible that night - getting up and checking on her every time I woke up!

The only lasting reminder is the ugly goose-egg (that only lasted a little over a day) and a wonderful scab across her forehead - perfect for all of those Christmas pictures!  She also did chip a little part of one of her front teeth, but I think that the dentist should be able to file it and make it look normal until she loses that tooth.  I think the only lasting damage is how guilty I feel!!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh no, I hate it when things like that happen! Poor Abbi, and poor you too! I know that feeling of guilt very well. And I have TWO BOYS, so it's EVEN WORSE.

I think there's some unwritten rule that says they have to hurt themselves in some way right before a big picture-taking occasion. Andrew fell at daycare and busted his nose up THE DAY BEFORE Christmas Eve.

Unknown said...

Oh goodness! Don't feel bad, you will never be able to prevent all things from happening. And I think you did the right thing. From what you say, it sounds like even if you had gone to an ER (at least if you had come to mine!) they probably would have sent you home without doing anything but billing you. ;-)

I think I've heard my friends with children say the same thing...kids are bound to get some kind of scar before a big even or pictures. ha!