Sunday, December 12, 2010

Book #72 - Dirty Little Secrets

Dirty Little Secrets
CJ Omololu


BlurbEveryone has a secret. But Lucy's is bigger and dirtier than most. It's one she's been hiding for years—that her mom's out-of-control hoarding has turned their lives into a world of garbage and shame. Tackling an increasingly discussed topic that is both fascinating and disturbing, C. J. Omololu weaves an hour-by-hour account of Lucy's desperate attempt to save her family. Readers join Lucy on a path from which there is no return, and the impact of hoarding on one teen's life will have them completely hooked. (from Goodreads)

Opening Sentence:  "Everyone has secrets.  Some are just bigger and dirtier than others."

Length: Short - 210 pages

Notes: I first heard of this book in a Goodreads newsletter.  Josh and I will often watch the show "Hoarders" on A&E, so I was immediately intrigued by the premise of this book.  (And if you haven't watched Hoarders before, just one episode is enough to make me want to get rid of everything in my house and live with very little!!)  This is a short book, and I read it in a day, but the story is actually quite interesting.  I have mixed emotions on how I feel about it.  In one way, I totally understand the main character and I understand the choices that she made.  But on the other hand, I realize that the choices she made aren't the best for her in the long run.  But really, she's 16 - she's not thinking about how things are going to affect her in the future.  This is another one of those books that I would love to sit down and discuss with someone!!

Random quote : "How dare she have dreams while making all of us live like this?  She was the parent - she could have done something about it.  She was the one with the power to make our lives like the people in the notebook, but instead she buried us all under tons of filth and shame."

Recommend: yes 

Have you read this book? Share your feelings!

No comments: